Monday, May 28, 2012

"I miss Gab" Pad Thai

I miss Gab. Gab's one of my close friends whom I met in first year college. He's just so lovable and huggable,  he's always smiling, and your day just gets incredibly brighter when he's around. I haven't seen him in a while, and lately I'm missing him more since Roland Garros started already. We would banter since he was always for Roger Federer or Nole Djokovic, anyone really who's going against my beloved Rafa Nadal.

Then my Mum said that we were making Pad Thai for dinner, that was it, I really do miss Gab - he really likes our Pad Thai.



The secret, I think, to good Pad Thai is to be liberal with cilantro. Fresh, fragrant cilantro. 


We had some old cilantro in the fridge so we just chopped them up to add to the sauce, separate from the fresh cilantro to be added later on.


Saute first the garlic and onions in a hot wok with oil. Add in fish sauce, and add in your shrimps. Peeling the shrimps beforehand, keep the tail on. 


When the shrimps are orange, add in your Pad Thai paste which you can purchase at the grocery store. For this dish for 6-7 persons, about 1/4 cup of paste is needed, then add 1/4 cup of water. Season with salt and chili flakes.


Let simmer for a bit then add your bean sprouts. Crack in 2 eggs, and mix well.


Add your rice noodles. Follow the instructions on the pack of rice noodles, usually you just need to soak them in water with no boiling needed.


Mix well, until all the noodles are covered in the sauce.


Cut up 1 lemon to serve with the noodles.


Ground some peanuts and serve on the side (a friendly tip for friends with allergies).


Sprinkle some chopped, fresh cilantro leaves on top of the dish to serve.



Sprinkle some ground peanuts and lemon juice on top of your individual serving, and enjoy.

We made a lot of the dish to be reheated and eaten tomorrow when we're too lazy to cook something else, and/or for my brother and Dad to eat for lunch at work. Some friends would know that I'm allergic to shrimp. It's a sad, sad thing, but I'm a stubborn child and still eat shrimp whenever I can - the drowsiness from the antihistamines I have to take after is definitely worth it! And who could resist this? Mum was afraid that we added too much chili, but the spicier it is, the closer it is to its traditional Thai taste, right? All in all, the kick and zest from it is just wonderful and filling. Yummm.

Lots of love and cilantro,
Isobel



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)