Thursday, June 7, 2012

120 Banana Muffins

This week was a very busy week. My Mum got a call Tuesday afternoon, asking her to cater for a Wednesday lunch. Despite it being so soon, it was a friendly favour, so she agreed. At 1PM on Wednesday, the same people called her to ask her to cater for dinner as well, also until Friday. I guess the people like her food. My Mum still agreed, mind you, she has another catering gig Thursday where she had me bake 120 Banana Muffins. I somehow felt what it would be like if I pursued food business, cooking and baking by the bunch and came to some realizations about it. But wait for it, look at my achievement for baking so many!


The first batch. I ran out of these liners, so I had to use another style.



Still pretty, yes?


My friends have all asked me why I didn't choose to go professional with my baking; "Why not go to culinary school?" "Why not open up a business?" and relentlessly, I give one reply: I don't want to make a living out of baking. I love baking, it takes my mind off the chaos happening around, it's comforting not only for me when I bake, but also when I see people around me and feel loved at the thought of giving them a piece. I love baking, I love eating, I love feeding. 

As I baked away last night, up to the last batch, with a total of 141 muffins, I did not eat a whole piece for myself. Dad ate 1, my brother ate 1, Bruno ate 1, Jumbs, Rob, Bon and Darwish ate 1 each, plus another 1 that they shared where I took my only nibble. If you're wondering why I didn't eat, it's because I was overwhelmed with it, that I did not care for it. And it hit me, I don't want this to happen. Ever. Whenever I bake, I want to indulge. I want to enjoy eating what I made which did not happen last night. I now understand Mum, who wouldn't eat the Lasagna she makes because she's sick of it. I don't want to be sick of anything I make! Baking is a passion, I bake because I want to, not because I depend on it to make a living. I bake to feed my friends and myself. It's pretty contradictory to what I've posted about selling cupcakes to my Mum's friends, but soon as I find a job, I'll be back to baking for fun, no worries.

Banana Muffins


1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 3-4 pieces)
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your muffin tins.


2. Mix the flour, the sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the melted butter. Add in the egg and incorporate well - make sure the butter's at least slightly cooled before you put the egg in. Add in vanilla.


4. Make a well in the flour mixture, and pour the banana mixture in. Mix the ingredients real well, until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.


5. Pour the mixture into the muffin liners until about 3/4 full. You'll need room for the muffin to rise. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly brown on top.


6. Let them cool on the tin before moving to a wire rack or plate to cool.


These muffins are moist, and don't be afraid if your mashed bananas are lumpy, that leaves you with bits of banana chunks when you bit into your muffin. I probably won't be making banana muffins for myself any time soon, but hopefully you will! Big thanks to the boys: Jumbs, Rob and Bruno, who helped out in baking and Bon and Darwish for testing these!

Lovelove,
Isobel


2 comments:

  1. Iyaaaa!! How do i follow your blog via google+??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Google+ button on the right side on top of my profile/photo :)

      Delete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)