Monday, June 4, 2012

Home-Made French Fries: 2 Ways

Today I received 2 more rejection emails, one job I really did not want, the other I like the company and the job was so-so. Rejection and unemployment is incredibly hard, you guys. Luckily, I have a side gig that's been a comfort to my unemployment: my kitchen skills. Or maybe not so lucky, since I tend to indulge whenever a craving strikes for let's say, fries?


On the lucky side however, I got a gig! On Wednesday, I am to bake 120 Banana Muffins for this event my Mum got. I've never really baked that much in one go so I'm both excited and terrified, the recipe practically calls for 15 cups of flour. Messy, messy. 

Another thing to look forward to, is this weekend because I will be going to Baguio with my friends. Yeay for out of town trips! The last time I went to Baguio was last December, when it reached 11 degrees one night out - we were freezing and it was amazing. I'm looking forward to the weather, God knows I crave for cold climates. I know June is not the coldest of months, but it is raining so it's bound to be at least a little cooler than weather-temperamental Manila.

Now, with my anticipation for 120 muffins, I am letting the oven rest, but fear not, for the stove is not off-limits and I just made home-made French Fries, or Potato Chips if you want to be British about it. A few days ago, Mum was given a bottle of Truffle infused Olive Oil as a gift, and the first thing that entered my mind were Truffle Fries. Nommm. Then when I was cutting up my potatoes, I realized that we still had leftover chili in the fridge and you know what that means? Animal-Style Chili Fries! 2 ways of preparing your fries, for 2 rejection emails.

Method:
1. Slice your potatoes the way you want them, thinly sliced, wedges, skin on, skin off, whatever tickles your fancy.

2. Now, the first trick with good fries is that, to make them really crispy, you have to soak the potatoes first. Leave them in a bowl with cold water for at least 30 minutes to remove the starch (I left mine for about an hour), then dry them with a paper towel.


3. Fry the potatoes in 2 or 3 batches for 2-3 minutes. Make sure the oil is hot before you put them in.


4. When the first batch is done, leave them in a strainer to remove the oil. Then when the second and third batches are done, put the first batch back into the oil and fry them for a second time. Do the same with the second and third batch.


5. When done with the second frying, drain the fries of the excess oil.

Simple and crispy. Yumm.

Now, if you want to jazz up your fries, maybe you have some friends over or you want to prove your mother wrong with your kitchen skills, or if like me, you just think you deserve something extra special, here are 2 ways:

Truffle Fries


1/2 tbsp truffle oil
1/2 tsp salt

After removing the excess frying oil from the fries, cover the fries with oil, mixing it well then cover with the salt.



Animal Style Chili Fries

*this is not exactly a recipe, since there was leftover chili and cheese sauce in the fridge

Melt some cheese (you can use cheez whiz actually, then you can make do without the butter) with a little milk and butter in the microwave and mix. Then add on top of the chili which is already topping your fries.
Deliciousness!

With the little amount of truffle oil that went into the fries, you can seriously taste the earthiness in them already. Truffle oil is not my favorite mind you, but they do add this unique kick and twist to a dish that's pretty cool. As for animal style fries, what can I say? These are a guilty pleasure. They're messy and delicious and that spicy kick? Oh-so right. I love ordering Animal Style Fries from In&Out whenever I visit my cousins in Anaheim, or the Chili Fries from Charlie's Grind and Grill. Chili fries, animal style fries, fries - I freaking love fried potatoes (who doesn't?).

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to devour these fries while watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.


Lovelove,
Isobel

2 comments:

  1. oi open oven,

    love the fries but. other than the scones you still owe me, can you figure this one out?
    http://mydiyangels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Outback_Bloomin_Onion.jpg
    they don't serve this here anymore :( thankssss!!!!

    - :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Challenge accepted. Experiment time!

      Delete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)