Thursday, June 14, 2012

No Fail Chocolate Chunk Cookies

It's about time that I post a cookie recipe up, don't you think? I personally love cookies, especially hot, chewy, gooey cookies, straight from the oven, served with vanilla ice cream. Like this!


Last weekend, I went to Baguio, the summer capital of the Philippines, with my cousin Paolo, Jackie (I can't disclose his real name for as far as his parents know, he was at home lol), Kat, Carlo and his sister Pau. It was a well-needed trip since Carlo was about to start med school in a few days. If I could describe the trip in one word, it would be: chill. All we did was eat, drink, sleep, drink, eat, sleep and eat. I'm not even exaggerating, just look at the fridge:


Anyway, on our first day, we decided to just stay in through the night and cook our dinner, and seriously just chill. It rained in the afternoon anyway, it was cold and it was awesome. I love cold weather, and the place was just telling us to stay in and drink beer.


Nice house, right? Loljk, that's the clubhouse right next to us.

When we were settled in after grocery shopping for a week's worth of food when in fact we were only staying for a weekend, the crew requested I bake some chocolate chip cookies, and I knew just the recipe. I call it no fail, because it's just the perfect cookie, and even without a working oven, you can still make it in an oven toaster like I did, or even on top of the stove with a lid. Also, I prefer chunks instead of chips, giving a more intense chocolate-y bite.

No Fail Chocolate Chunk Cookies

3/4 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup crushed dark chocolate
1/2 cup crushed milk chocolate

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugar until it's fluffy.
2. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until well-blended.
3. Add in flour, salt and baking powder and mix.
4. Add in the chocolate chunks.
5. Spoon the dough, rolling them into 1 inch each, and place on a baking pan, 1 1/2 inch apart to allow it to expand.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until brown. The oven was broken in our villa, so I had to use the toaster oven. Just keep on checking until the top part's brown to know they're baked.


7. When they're done, they'll be softer than usual so just place them on a plate and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.


Since my friends and I were all out on indulging ourselves, Kat requested we eat cookie dough as is. I love eating cookie dough but if you do decide to make cookie dough and eat it as is, note some changes in the recipe above:

1. Do not add in baking powder - you won't be baking them anyway, no need to rise.
2. Replace the egg with 1/8 cup of milk - you don't want to catch salmonella now, do you?



Despite the cold Baguio weather, we were suckers for ice cream, so we ended up eating the cookie dough with vanilla ice cream,


As well as making vanilla ice cream cookie sandwiches.

The cookies were great, even more so because I got to cook with everyone in the kitchen helping out. If you're a cookie lover, I suggest you give these a try, they definitely won't disappoint (although the weighing scale might!).

Big thanks to Kat for lending me her camera and for taking photos too! 

Lovelove,
Isobel

5 comments:

  1. MISSING THIS ALREADYYY. Huhuhu -Katiton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's go back to Baguio to drink, eat, sleep, drink, eat, sleep...


    Love,
    hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying your site so I'm nominating you for my Illuminating Blogger Award for informative, illuminating blog content. I know not everyone participates in blog awards but I hope you'll at least check it out because it's a great way to discover new blogs and meet new web friends. If you're interested in participating, you can check out the details at my site ... http://foodstoriesblog.com/illuminating-blogger-award/ ... Either way, hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Finally someone writes about the.
    Also visit my weblog ... article spinner

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)