Friday, June 15, 2012

Poor Man's Butter

Being unemployed when most of my friends already have jobs, or are back in school, there's really not a lot of reason for me to go out. I'm not necessarily bored, I have loads of films and series to keep me company, and of course, my kitchen skills.

For the past few days however, I've increasingly become a bum, much to my dissatisfaction. Alhtough I'm not a professional bum am I? I still keep this blog, which you lovely lot are very appreciative of (thanks for all the notes and likes on twitter and tumblr) and just of this moment, I made guacamole!



Did you know, that guacamole had another call before? It was called "Mantequilla de Pobre" which for non-Spanish speakers means "Poor-Man's Butter." This was - if Wikipedia is right - before cattle was introduced to the Americas. No cow, no milk, no butter. It's appropriate, don't you think? On my own, unemployed, I am quite poor.

Guacamole


2-3 ripe avocados
1 medium red onion, minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 large tomato, chopped
1 small red chili, minced
generous splash of lime juice
salt and pepper

1. Spoon the avocados to a bowl (they'll be soft and easy to separate from the peel) and mash well.


2. Mix the onion, tomatoes and cilantro together and add to the avocados.


3. Add as much chili as your heart desires, and add in the lime juice. Since I am poor, I didn't have lime juice on the ready, so I settled for calamansi - small Philippine limes.




4. Season with salt and pepper.


Guacamole, for those who don't know what it is or what it tastes like, it's a lot like salsa only creamier. The avocados contain a lot of fat so you need to balance it out with the tanginess of the lime juice and onions. It's incredibly great with tacos, or even with plain corn chips. I even received a tip to eat it in a grilled cheese sandwich. I would definitely love to try that. It sounds yummm.



This is perfect to share for potlucks, for outdoor barbecues or for a regular day watching TV. Keep the extra in the fridge with a lid and it should last for about a week.


Lovelove,
Isobel

3 comments:

  1. Poor man's butter. I love that! I'm a total guacamole addict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what if i don't have cilantro? we have all ingredients but that :| and i want this now! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's okay if you don't have it? Some people don't like cilantro because they find it over-pungent. I find it to give a lot of extra oomph tho :P

      Delete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)