Monday, July 9, 2012

Buttery Butter Cake

I realize I did not post entries last week, but I'll make up for it this week, I promise. Starting with these beautiful butter cakes.

Two days ago, Patty and I went to Alex's for a Lord of the Rings marathon along with Mon, Mig and Roxy. The reason for this was that over Twitter, we were discussing, well really more of complaining and bashing on why Patty and Roxy have not watched Lord of the Rings (among other movies like Star Wars and Gremlin) and so we decided to have a movie marathon. 

So Saturday night, Alex's parents prepared dinner, and as always, it was delicious. Seafood Salad, V-Cut Crusted Baked Chicken and Pasta Puttanesca capped of with Coffee Ice Cream with Kahlua and jello bits. If Alex's mom had a food blog, I would religiously follow it. After a hearty meal with stories of work and unemployment alike and huge amounts of laughter, we finally returned to watching. Because Fellowship was the slowest-paced film of the trilogy, some pressed to move on with Two Towers instead, only to later realize that Mon's copy of the film was lacking the second, better half of the movie. Also, Roxy and Patty who were supposed to watch the film, ended up playing Logo Quiz instead. 

For my part though, I made a little treat for the guys. Butter Cake (although Alex said it's a but crumblier than a regular cake) is one of my Mum's favorite treats to nibble on and it's great for bringing along to get togethers as a light snack or dessert. I wouldn't say that it has an obscene amount of butter since it is supposed to be buttery and butter is delicious on anything.

Butter Cake
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (cake flour might make it fluffier so go ahead and use it if you wish)
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

3. Make a well in the middle and add the melted butter and mix.

4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.

5. Line two loaf pans with wax paper and pour the batter, evenly divided. 

6. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the sides are brown and when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
I keep switching from camera to phone, sorry!
Photo from Instagram
I like eating this butter cake fresh from the oven while it's still hot and the butter just melts while you're eating it. It's great for dessert and perfect for afternoon snacks paired with coffee or tea. It's crumbly, buttery and oh-so indulgent. I only brought one cake to Alex's since I have to keep one for the house but Mon and Alex quite liked it that they kept on nibbling on it while watching the film. 

It was a wasted night for the marathon, but it was a greatly quotable, fun night. It's always fun hanging out with these guys, especially now that some of us have jobs (not me, obviously) and rarely see each other. I think we settled on planning another marathon night, I think with Star Wars this time. Hopefully that would be more productive. Or not.

Lots of love and butter,
Isobel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)