Monday, July 23, 2012

Fresh Fettuccine in Creamy Boscaiola

Empty house, empty stomach. A few days ago I was left alone in the house to fend for myself. Of course, when I say fend for myself, I mean feed myself. I was thinking hard on whether I should just order in Chicken Nuggets, fries and a Quarter Pounder from McDonald's but my better self got to me for my and your enjoyment, sweethearts.

I thought to myself how I haven't used my pasta maker yet and since it was Date Night, Saturday Night, I had a date with Orlando Bloom or in other words, Lord of the Rings was on HBO. Three hours of a movie, just enough time to make and eat a pasta dish - with fresh pasta!

Photo from Google Images because I'm lazy.

We didn't have any bread flour then at home, so I used all-purpose flour instead. Bread flour gives the pasta an extra bite from the high gluten content. I made fettuccine noodles, which is the long strand, flat pasta, and for the sauce, I made Boscaiola. Boscaiola means woodcutter in Italian and a tradition, the internet says, of woodcutters is to pick up mushrooms along their way. So Boscaiola is a sauce that incorporates mushrooms in it. I'm not sure if any kind of mushroom would do, so feel free to affirm or correct me. I used cream as a base for the sauce because it was a cold, rainy night and in need of creamy comfort. Also, I used white wine because of reasons (Hi Alexa, I finally opened the bottle of white you gave me!).

Pasta Dough (for 2-3 persons)
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 large egg and a little extra egg white (if you're using bread flour, 1 large egg should do)


Make a well with your flour on your workspace and place the egg in the well. Make sure your egg is in room temperature before adding to the flour to make the dough easier to work with. Mix with a fork until dough comes together. Use your hands to form a ball with the dough and knead until smooth. If the dough is too dry, add a little water, if it's too wet, add a little more flour. Wrap in wax paper and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.


Flatten your pasta to a workable shape. Make sure it fits the width of the machine. Follow the instructions on the machine to get the desired thickness. Since I used all-purpose, I only went up until 6 to make it thick and give it a good bite.


Let it pass through the cutter of your choice. I personally like flat pasta compared to the common spaghetti. I love looking at the jagged edges on the side - truly homemade! 

Bring a pot of water with a drizzle of oil and a heavy pinch of salt to a boil. Cook the pasta for 4-5 minutes until al dente and blanch.

Boscaiola Sauce

5 rasher of bacon, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped (white would be better, but didn't have that either)
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup mushrooms of choice (we had a lot of champignon)
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup white wine
olive oil
salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste


Cook the bacon in a non-stick pan until crispy and set aside. Add a little olive oil to the bacon fat and sauté onions until translucent. Add the bell peppers.


Remove the pan from the heat and add the white wine. Bring back to the fire and let reduce for 2 minutes. Add in the cream, mushrooms, salt, pepper and chili. Toss in the cooked pasta with the bacon and cover with the sauce.


Place onto a plate, add some Parmegiano-Reggiano and enjoy.

I make this pasta sauce a lot, sans the white wine. I am so thankful I thought of adding it this time! It was incredible. The smell of the wine was fantastic as it was cooking with the onions and bell peppers, and you can definitely taste it in every bite, mixed with the cream. I ate a greedy half of this dish, and my Dad ate the other half when he got home. Mum was really impressed by my dish, as well as with my initiative at finally making pasta noodles. She said the noodles would be perfect for Vongolé. Yum, I think we know what my next pasta post will be!

Honestly sweethearts, if I can make my own pasta noodles, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to make some for yourselves either. It's easy and freaking satisfying!

As ever,
Isobel

5 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to try my hand at pasta making but it's a little daunting ... Your steps look pretty easy though ... Happy Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too at first but it was totally worth it after all the effort! :)

      Delete
  2. Iya! YOU MAKE YOUR OWN PASTA!? :O seems so much better. don't think i've ever had that. i make something similar to this but instead, i use fresh shiitake and basil (towards the end and as garnish) too. i have to try with bacon though. :p~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I can! It's soooo good! It's perfectly al dente! Fresh shiitake sounds good, I'll definitely try to get my hands on them next time! :D

      Delete
  3. OMG unreal!!! pasta from scratch!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)