Monday, July 30, 2012

Individual Potato Frittatas

I feel as if I haven't posted in forever! Sorry about that. I underestimated my work and how tired I would feel when I get home. On weekends when I am feeling free, I go out since I can. I feel that I owe you an explanation, and I think it's a good one? Since mid-July, it's been that time again for basketball fans, especially from universities to come together and cheer, if they manage to find a ticket to a live game. UAAP season has started, opening with the much-loved sport of basketball. Coming from a university that holds much importance for sports along with academics - not to mention a four year winning streak - I, along with my parents, have been watching Ateneo's live games for the past two weeks. 

Moving on, last weekend, aside form the awaited Ateneo-La Salle game, I also made breakfast for my Mum's guests. I hope you don't mind my crappier than usual photos. What do you expect when you have to wake up earlier than usual? They turned out wonderfully satisfying though. And adorable.



I based this recipe from the hashbrown nests that I've made before, only this time, I scrambled the eggs and let them envelope the potatoes, just like how a frittata would.

Individual Potato Frittatas
6 large potatoes
6-8 eggs
1/2 cup onion leeks
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper
chili flakes
2 cups sliced kesong puti (or any type of cheese that melts good)

makes 12 individual frittatas


Peel and grate the potatoes onto a large bowl and wash. Let them soak in cold water for 20 minutes to remove the excess water.


Drain the potatoes and dry them with a kitchen towel. Toss it back to the bowl and give a generous sprinkling of salt.


Line the muffin pan with butter or oil, generously coating the sides. Add about 2 tablespoons of the potatoes. Enough to cover the bottom and the sides.


Bake at a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until the sides and tips of the potatoes are brown.


In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the leeks, milk and seasoning with salt and pepper and chili. Pour onto the baked potatoes until covered. Top with the slices of cheese and bake for 10 minutes, until the egg is set.


Garnish with parsley and serve with a little meat. 

Mum's friends were definitely impressed with the dish. It was a great way to start your day, a little breakfast egg muffin thing (according to one her friends). The eggs were perfectly cooked, and the leeks gave the frittata a good pop of green while eating it, while the cheese gave it a creamy surprise in the middle. My Mum's friends wanted to commend me on the wonderful breakfast, but I was already back in bed after gulping a frittata of my own. Oops.

If you're patient enough to make these, they definitely won't disappoint. 

As ever,
Isobel

1 comment:

  1. How funny ... I don't think you owe us an explanation, at all ... Life happens :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)