Saturday, July 21, 2012

M&M Cookies

I am not a healthy-dessert-eating kind of person. It's a bit paradoxical even, a healthy dessert (or is that just me?) I know over time, people have developed healthy deserts and I appreciate them, I appreciate the effort, and the tastes are pretty good. Occasionally even, I add bran or oats or flaxseed to typical meals or desserts to make it at least 2% healthier.

Unfortunately though, I am not so successful in creating my own healthy desserts, at least not now. I try, but I haven't found a good healthy dessert recipe I'm proud enough to share. So for now, let's skip healthy and indulge in sweet, candy-covered chocolate goodness.


I woke up to a dark Saturday morning. There was barely any light entering my bedroom window, it was comfortably chilly, and I could hear the rain tap dancing on the roof. It was great. I was snuggled in my blanket, too lazy to leave my bed. I did eventually, only to have lunch and bake cookies and eat them fresh and hot from the oven with a glass of milk. I'm such a fatty, I know, but the weather is just so inviting to lounge around and eat.

Cookies are good for any time of the day, for any occasion. Eating them with a glass of milk on a cold day is perfection. I recently bought a good amount of plain M&Ms and thought of making these cookies over the weekend. I always loved these rainbow cookies when I was a kid, and today seemed like a good day to make them. And indeed it was.

M&M Cookies
1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup M&Ms (or mini M&Ms)


Cream the butter and sugars together in a large bowl.


Add in the eggs, one at a time and mix until fully incorporated. Mix in the vanilla. 


Add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix.



Admire how colourful your M&Ms are, and add to the cookie dough. Stir them in gently, to avoid crushing them.


With a spoon, scoop a spoonful and drop them on your baking sheet, 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake at a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the sides are slightly brown.


Let them cool in the pan before placing onto a plate or tray for cooling, to avoid the cookie sticking to the baking sheet.


Look how pretty and colorful the bottom of the cookie is!


These cookies were light and airy, and the dough was not overly sweet. It has just the right amount of sweetness in the dough to compliment the M&Ms. If you prefer the cookies crunchy, let them sit in the oven for 3-4 minutes longer. Personally, I like my cookies soft and chewy, so when they're still hot, they sort of just melt in your mouth. Yummm. 

I enjoyed these cookies because they look like a little piece of your childhood, when the coolest things were the toys, shoes and cookies with most colors. I've eaten about 5 cookies already, and I should stop and hide them. They're so hard to resist when they're just sitting on top of the table in it's rainbow-colored deliciousness!

Big thanks to Bruno for helping out in baking, and tolerating my fail attempts of making healthy cookies! :D

As ever,
Isobel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)