Monday, July 16, 2012

Triple Oreo Cupcakes

It has been almost a year and a half since my cousin, Etsuko, got married.  I was her maid of honorand I was happy to be so. She's half Japanese and on my father's side of the family, among the thirteen cousins, only three of us are girls. A couple of months ago, I was supposed to visit her in Japan but we had to cancel the visit since she was about to get her hands full - she was pregnant! And I was the first person to know! Among those who are in Manila anyway; she told her parents and brother before me. 

Moving forward, she arrived in the Philippines a couple of weeks ago for a visit and she decided to throw her baby shower while she's in the country. So last Saturday we had a lovely afternoon with the family, with more good news for me: she chose me to be the godmother of her baby girl! Sweet isn't it? So were my treats:



I just had to bake something for the occasion, of course! I wanted something that would hold for the long-ish drive, but something easy to eat, something sweet. Then I saw a pack of untouched oreos in the pantry and it was settled: Oreo Cupcakes. The pack we had had both the light and dark cookies, huzzah for variation.


Oreo Cupcakes
Cake
1 pack of Oreos
1 cup butter
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
3 cups flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

makes 36 cupcakes

Frosting
1 1/3 stick of butter, softened
2 1/4 cups icing sugar
5 tbsp condensed milk

Preheat the oven to 350. Line the cupcake tin with cupcake liners.


Twist 24 Oreos gently, placing the cookie with the cream at the bottom of the liners. I used 24 cookies for these, although I made about 36 cupcakes, 12 with no cookies at the bottom.


Cut 12 cookies in half, making 24 halves and set them aside.


Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in one bowl.


In another bowl, cream the butter and the sugars until creamy. Beat in the eggs on medium speed until fluffy.


Add half of the flour mixture and mix on medium speed.


Add the milk and mix. When the milk is fully incorporated, mix in the rest of the flour.


Crush the rest of 12 cookies to bite size pieces and fold them in the batter.


Fill the cupcake liners up to 3/4 full. Just a little over a spoonful since the cookie and cream underneath are taking a lot of space.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until slightly brown on top. Let cool for 30 to 40 minutes.


For the frosting, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix on slow to medium speed until thick and fluffy.


When the cupcakes are cool, pipe the frosting on top, making a little swirl and top with an Oreo cookie half. For the 12 remaining cupcakes that had no cookie and cream underneath, I crushed about 6 Oreo cookies with the cream and sprinkled them on top.


These were delightful to make and lovely to look at. Just look at the pretty layers when I split one in half! It had just the right amount of sweetness balanced with the cake, the frosting and the Oreo filling that you get to bite into at the bottom of the cupcake. They're perfect for Oreo lovers and for those who don't mind indulging on a little sugar every once in a while. 


I realized later on while baking these that I won't have enough cookies to fill the liners with, so a batch had no Oreo cookies underneath but were topped instead with crushed oreos. Nevertheless, the family loved the cupcakes. My aunt just had to take photos of them before she could eat one and proclaim them oishi because they were so kawaii to look at. Speaking of kawaii, look at the baby clothes I bought as presents!


The baby shower was great. It's always fun catching up with family you haven't seen in a while, and seeing my cousin pregnant! Joy! I can't wait to see my god daughter, I can't wait to see her in the baby clothes Mom and I bought for her. Not to mention spoiling her endlessly with sweets!

Lovelove,
Isobel

7 comments:

  1. These are so cute & they look so good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your Food Story on CJ's blog and wanted to drop by and say hi - I hadn't been to your blog before but it's a pleasure to meet you and to read about how you got started blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just dropped by to say hi from CJ's blog :) What a lovely little story you have here, and Oreo cupcakes! Love them.

    Wish your cousin all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  4. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Empanadas harhar -kirainmanila

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome btw haven't been to your blog in a while. Always makes me want to start my own "up and coming" lawyering blog hahahaha coz really that's the only thing I can blog about. Anyway more power and see you soon lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss you dear!! Hope to see you soon too :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)