Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Banana Coffee Cupcakes

Dear readers,

It was a depressing but at the same time, it was a heart-warming week last week. With all the floods out and about our crazy city, friends, families and strangers have gathered to help those affected by the flood in any way they can. Donations, re-packing goods, cooking food for victims and volunteers, it was indeed lovely to see everyone working together. 

My weekend was matched with surprises, let-downs, rage and another little surprise as well. No need for details, let's just say that a very old match found it's way on my doorstep.

Now to cake. Did you know, that Coffee Cake does not mean that it is cake infused with coffee? Not necessarily, anyway. Coffee Cake is simply cake that is served with coffee, and topped with streusel. Mum has once again invited friends over for dinner tonight, and insisted I make my Banana Bread. I thought it too plain so I decided to jazz it up even just a little. 


I made cupcakes instead of a whole cake to go with Mum's sit-down dinner, so that each would get a cake alongside their cup of coffee (or tea). I simply followed the recipe of my Cinnamon Banana Loaf and instead filled them in the cupcake liners. There's extra effort in these since I have to stop halfway through the cup to sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar in the middle.


*Recipe for Cinnamon Banana Loaf (cupcake base) can be found here.

Streusel 
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon


Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and butter and mix with a fork until crumbly.


When the batter is in the cups, 3/4 full, top with the streusel and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.


When you take your little cupcakes out of the oven, take a moment to look at the beautiful topping with the butter still melting, making the cinnamon sugar sizzle in ooey-gooeyness. Then let the scent of the freshly baked cupcakes fill the kitchen air. I'd suggest you let it cool until you get one, but I love these while still hot, so get one, peel the liner off and bite into the banana-y goodness with the delightful cinnamon marble in the middle and cinnamon streusel caramelized and crumbly on top. Take it in. Take it all in. Yum.


Now ass my parents are in their meeting, enjoying these cupcakes with their friends over coffee, I retire to one side of the house with my own cupcake and cup of coffee, watching the Spice Girls as they bewitch and remind the world of the everlasting class and lustre of the Brits as the 2012 London Olympics ends with a bang.

As ever,
Isobel

1 comment:

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)