Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Crepes

"These are dark times, there is no denying."

Dear reader, if you're as awesome as I am, then you would know where that line came from, who said it and how it was said, no doubt. Let me just say however, that right now, this line is incredibly relevant. I would have posted the entire quote/speech, but it goes on to speak of liberty, and that is not exactly apt for the situation I'm calling out for.

To my international readers under sunny skies, for the past two weeks or so, it has been raining every single day in Manila and its surrounding areas. More importantly, for the past 36 hours, it has rained non-stop in our beloved city. If you do your research well, you'll find that this has happened to our country a couple of times, the worst I've experienced only about three years ago. The Filipino people, including a lot of close friends had their houses flooded that they had to retreat to their second floors, to rooftops, or to evacuation centers due to heavy rainfall. If that is not bad enough, the rainfall is a lot stronger this time around and although there had already been a lot of precautions and warnings, it's somehow not enough to avoid these situations.

My heart goes out to all the victims and their families, and I ask you, my dear readers home and abroad, to help in any way you can through prayers, good thoughts, donations and the like.

I woke up this morning severely alarmed. It was a little past 6:30 AM and it was gloomy, cold and loud. I woke up to the sound of thunder which eerily sounded more like a bomb going off, due to how near lightning must have struck, not to mention the flashes of light that enveloped my room. I had never been frightened when it rains, except perhaps this morning, except perhaps until now.

My parents were still asleep at this time, and my brother, after waking only to see the flood in the streets outside on his way to work, turned around and went back to bed instead. It was cold, and on a gloomy morning like what I woke up, I thought of adding a little cheer to the morning. I made crepes for breakfast.


Basic Crepes
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp caster sugar

Beat the eggs and gradually add the flour. Add in the milk and water, continuously stirring to avoid lumps. Add in the butter, salt and sugar.


Pour 1/4 cup of the batter on a non-stick pan and swirl it around to create a circle. Butter it lightly if you must. It doesn't have to be perfect. If you have one of those fancy crepe-making pan/stove things then use that, matched with the fancy stick that evens the batter out.


When the edges start to loosen, flip it over. And when the other side is as brown and toasty to your heart's desire, slide it to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.

You'll notice that the recipe only called for 1 tbsp of sugar, this is to give you freedom to experiment with your crepes' flavours and fillings. Cut up some fruit, whip up some cream, put in vegetables, cheese tuna, what have you. Following this recipe, you'll get plain crepes which are well, plain. It's not sweet, which I found perfect for making savoury crepes. 


I made one that had a slice of Monterey Jack and slices of sausages in them, with a little sprinkling pepper and chili flakes. A perfectly filling breakfast.


Another I made, I sprinkled a little more sugar while on the pan. I sliced a banana, topped it with strawberry yogurt and chia seeds before rolling it.


My favourite however, has go to be the simplest. While the batter is in the pan, when one side is a little brown, flip it and spread a little butter on top and sprinkle a generous amount of sugar. Fold the sides, adding more butter and sugar to the flaps. Serve them with the flaps down, and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. Buttery and incredibly delicious.

Due to the heavy rain, a lot of people who are safe and dry are advised to stay home especially if they have no crucial businesses to attend to, and if the weather's exceedingly bad. Of course, during these times, it's hard to keep still as we'd want to help out any way we can. Re-tweeting valuable information and checking up on family and friends are big help already. If you want to add a little cheer somehow, I suggest making some crepes for breakfast, so that the family has something comforting to wake up to.

Relief operations are on-going everywhere in the city and this fills my heart as much as the crepes fill my stomach - probably more. For our part, the parents and I are actually going out tomorrow morning to deliver food to evacuees and volunteers. Whether at home passing on information, or if you're able to go out and help pack and distribute relief goods, please do so while keeping in mind your own safety.

P.S. The quote was from Rufus Scrimgeour, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I (advertised Potterhead here).

Safe and dry,
Isobel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)