Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Incredibly Easy Carrot Cake

I just had a wonderful Saturday. I met up with my friends whom I haven't seen in over a month. The last time that I remember us being complete was probably March and I'm not exaggerating. With everyone either at work or school, it's just hard to schedule. Thankfully last Saturday everyone made time and I even brought some of my Banana Cinnamon Muffins for them to enjoy. Finally, we got to get together, my crazy friends and I, with the same endless bantering - it was just great, it was just perfect. Only took us what? Four months? It's now August people!

Actually, August is almost ending and do you know what that means? Christmas season is near! I don't know about my overseas readers but here in little Manila, Christmas season starts during the -BER months aka months ending in "ber" as in September. August ending also brings us to the birthday of someone whom I would say, I have the most complicated relationship with. Not myself, that would be oh-so dramatic. A clue? How about a photo instead?

Daddy and me, Universal Studios California, 2002
Yes, it's dear old Dad. I'm not going to dwell on our love-hate (on my part) daddy-daughter relationship, it's probably just a mid-life crisis he's going through anyway. Teehee. To please dear old Dad, I decided to bake him something for his birthday and I couldn't be happier with the results, by the way. It's pretty damn good for it's simplicity! It's an incredibly simple Carrot Cake in its naked glory. You basically need just one bowl and a wooden spoon, or if you're incredibly lazy, just dump everything in a blender and blend away (without over-blending of course!)!

Carrot Cake

1 to 1 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
6 tbsp butter, melted (or veg oil)
1 cup flour
3/4 to 1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tbsp baking powder
pinch salt
1/2 cup bitter-sweet chocolate chips, optional


Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix. Add in the carrots. Add the butter and mix, followed by the eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition.



Transfer to a greased baking pan - top with the chocolate chips or any other topping your heart may desire: crushed walnuts, coconut shavings, almond slices - and bake at a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes until the top is brown, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.


If you look closely, you can see the carrot shavings in the cake!
You could make a light frosting or a chocolate glaze to go with it, but as you would know me by now, I prefer it as is. Or maybe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side if I'm feeling a bit indulgent. As for Daddy dearest, I presented it as a de-constructed birthday cake with a cream cheese frosting and a candle beside the slice. He just loved it! He has always liked carrot cake and he's so grateful for the treat I made especially for him on his birthday.


It is delicious you guys, I'm telling you. It tastes like a giant cookie, I'm not lying. It's probably because of the chocolate chips on top and the crispy texture it has on the sides. I'd like to think it's some sort of giant healthy cookie, what with all the Beta-Carotene and Vitamin A you're getting from the carrots! 

Maybe next time I'll shape them into cookies instead of making a cake out of it. Ugh, I can't wait for it, I'll probably make some soon as this cake disappears.

As ever,
Isobel

4 comments:

  1. I've got a ton of carrots from the garden right now and this looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! It's super easy and super yummy!

      Delete
  2. I did not get any of those muffins btw :( -lawyerpeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my fault. Ian got three! Hahahaha

      Delete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)