Saturday, September 22, 2012

Croque Madame

I woke up Saturday morning in a most unpleasant way. A bug got in my room, a large, green, flying, crawling bug has made its way to my bed. I thought it was merely a beetle and tried to shuffle in my sheets at hope of it flying away but alas! it wasn't and it wouldn't budge. I had to encase it in a cup and slide it away from my sheets, from my life.

Since I was awake anyway, not much to my discomfort, I decided to use the extra morning hours to have a nice, delicious although not exactly healthy, breakfast. I find weekends the perfect days to make extra special breakfast treats since you're not pressed for time. No need to fret going into the morning traffic rush, just that extra time to have that well-deserved, proper breakfast. And since I hadn't made one in so long, a Croque Madame seemed to be a perfect idea.

Croque Madame, obviously, is a French sandwich, fried with ham and cheese. Croque means crunch and the madame is added as the fried egg supposedly resembles a woman's hat. This sandwich made without the egg is alternatively called Croque Monsieur (a crunchy sir - lol). There's a sauce that's to be made with the sandwich that makes it different from other fried ham and cheese sandwiches a little more preparation as I told you, but well worth it.

Croque Madame

1 large knob of butter
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
dash nutmeg
1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
1/4 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste
mustard (preferably Dijon, but the regular kind is fine)
2 slices wholle wheat bread
ham (any ham, anything available, according to your taste)

The sauce should be good I think for about 2-3 sandwiches.
In a small saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and stir in the flour to make the roux. Add the milk, nutmeg, Gruyere cheese, stirring until it becomes thick. Season with salt and pepper.


Spread the sauce on one slice, and mustard on the other.


Place the ham and the cheese on each slice and form your sandwich. Now would be a good time to fry your egg - make sure the yolk would still be runny!

Butter both sides of the sandwich and grill. When the bottom side is brown and crunchy, flip and add more of the sauce on top, and grill until the sauce is bubbly, then top with your fried egg and serve.


Slicing into the sandwich, make sure to dive first into the yolk so it would run down the sandwich in pure, gooey goodness. The first time I tried this sandwich, I knew it was love at first bite and that I just had to recreate it. My breakfast mates were delighted to try the sandwich as well, although what pleased them more I think was how clean I was able to eat it. 

Forgive my mediocre table setting.
This sandwich is filling as it is delicious, so it's all you need for a hearty breakfast meal, next to a good, steamy cup of freshly brewed coffee. Have a happy weekend, sweethearts!

Yours, ever so sincerely,
Isobel

1 comment:

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)