Monday, October 29, 2012

Flour Tortilla

I have been sleeping past 2AM every night for about 2 weeks now and it's for incredibly lazy reasons but the point is, I should fix that. Sleeping that late makes me tired the next day even if I get 8 hours sleep, what's worse I wake up having already missed breakfast. Suckfest! Clearly what I need is a slight lifestyle change, nothing too drastic.

Adjusting my sleepy time, perhaps adding some new things, or cutting out some things in what I eat. A little less coffee, especially at night, a little more fruits for good skin, good digestion and whole wheat for extra fiber, also for good digestion. I'll change my lazy habits too, but perhaps not when it comes to preparing food. Well I shouldn't consider quick and easy as lazy, just incredibly convenient, like making flour tortillas over bread, a soft taco over a triple decker sandwich.


Tortillas are great. Flatbread. It's simple, filling and really versatile. As many ideas there are for Mexican uses for tortilla like quesadillas and burritos, you can also eat them with kebabs or maybe with hummus. When a friend (hi, Arbie!) said he would be making tortillas, I thought of why I haven't made them before. I've made bread a couple of times, failed a lot and since tortillas would not need kneading, rising and yeast, I found a recipe and gave it a shot.

Flour Tortilla
3 cups all-purpose flour (I made mine whole wheat, replace 1 cup all-prupose with whole wheat flour)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup hot water (not too hot or boiling)


Mix the dry ingredients together.


Add the oil and mix with your hands until crumbly. Add in the water, little at a time and mix with your hands. If the water's too hot, use a wooden spoon.


Form into a ball. Wrap in plastic and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.


After resting, cut the dough into 4 sections.


Cut each quarter into 3 slices.


Roll them into balls. You should have 12 even balls after slicing and rolling everything.


Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough into a circle until about 10-11 inches in diameter. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it does need to be flat.


I suggest rolling only what you need so you wouldn't need to cook everything and store. Instead, wrap the remaining balls in plastic and keep them in the fridge until you're ready to use them.


What I love about these tortillas is that you'll only need to use the stove and not the oven, making it quicker to cook. Just use a non-stick skillet and heat the tortilla until brown spots form on either side. Do not grease the pan!

Voila! Tortilla! It's incredibly easy and I do suggest using whole wheat because it's healthy and it basically tastes the same so I wouldn't know why anyone wouldn't like whole-wheat anything. Like I said, tortillas are incredibly versatile, even if you don't feel like wrapping anything, you can cut them up and use them like a mop for your favorite cheese dip or guacamole. You can try frying them and perhaps end up with tortilla chips, although I'm not so sure, maybe I'll try them with the leftover dough.

As for my dinner tonight, tacos it is! Now excuse me for my taco (filled up with more vegetables and salsa over everything else) is staring, waiting.

As ever,
Isobel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)