Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lemon Sugar Cookies

It's a lazy, rainy Wednesday afternoon and I'm at home rather than doing my usual work for my mother. Why, you may ask? I just had a root canal, and despite what others have said with it being painless, I must dissent. It's quite painful, but only after the extraction. I suppose it's my lack of experience on the dentist's chair that I haven't done anything more than a filling - I never had braces :D - that would explain my pain. More of the pain is coming from where the injection was pierced, so the pain is in my gums and cheek which is still swelling, giving me a chubby bunny look.

With my inability to chew much, I must resort to soft foods. And let's see, cookies are soft, right? So with the cool breeze, it seems the right thing to just stay at home, read my newly bought copy of The Casual Vacancy, and gently chew on my Lemon Sugar Cookies.


It has been a long while since I made these dainty little cookies, but as I popped a newly baked one in my mouth, the memory of the same tangy, sweet pleasure is as refreshing as ever.

Lemon Sugar Cookies

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups caster sugar, plus more for coating
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.

To maximize the flavor of the lemon zest, grind them with a little sugar before adding to the mixture.
3. Cream butter and sugar. Add in the egg, vanilla and lemon extracts.
4. Add in the flour mixture. Mix.


5. Form little balls about 1 inch in thickness and drop them in the sugar for coating.


6. Place the lemon balls on the tray and flatten them a bit. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the bottom's slightly browned.

Yummy, dainty and delicate, it feels like spring in every bite. These are such sweet treats, I devoured 3 in 2 minutes. Well, in my case, I waited for them to just melt. My taste buds aren't impaired however, which means that I am very well able to appreciate these light, airy little cookies. The flavor of the lemon perfectly balances the sugar, and they crumble ever so lightly at your bite.


These are perfect as an afternoon snack, with coffee, with tea, with a book, with me. Lovely.

Affectionately,
Isobel

1 comment:

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)