Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sunbutter Cookies

I am quite unfortunate when it comes to my health. I am asthmatic which is of course not the worst thing that could ever happen, it is however quite limiting. Limiting with certain foods, capabilities and indulgences. My asthma has gradually worsened over the years with my not-so pristine habits as well as my inclination to things I know are bad for me. You see dear readers, the problem lies in the knowledge of what it is you are missing. If I have grown up never having tasted tempura prior to the discovery of my allergic reaction to it, I would lead a more content life. If my grandfather did not have an amazingly smart and adorable cat, I might not want one so badly for a pet. You get the picture.

A couple months back, I had an unusually alarming reaction to bad, can you believe it, chicken. Yes, bad chicken, which prompted a serious allergic reaction that I had to be rushed to the hospital to get shots since my trusty antihistamines were just no good to calm the redness of my skin, the swelling of my eyelids or my constant sneezing. I got off having to maintain a hypo-allergenic diet for 2 weeks, which calls me to avoid chicken, seafood, nuts, chocolate, dairy and processed foods - oh but said diet suggests I eat venison instead, yes I can eat deer but not chicken. That's a huge chunk of the food pyramid I couldn't eat you guys.

Since then, I have started reacting to some foods I was never really allergic to like chicken and peanuts. Although I am not as allergic to peanuts as I am with shrimps, better safe than sorry as I would still get a slight reaction at its consumption, especially if it's in butter form. Now, I just have to keep track of what I eat, and go for my hypo-allergenic choices more often and making sure my choices are absolutely fresh. Then I found a godsend: Sunbutter!


I found out about this as one of the blogs I religiously follow is allergic to peanuts. Sadly, sunbutter or sunflower butter is not available in my little country, but I do have a very thoughtful cousin, Nico, living in California and a couple months ago, when his brother, my cousin, Jan got his care package from his parents, I got a little treat for myself too!

Sweet isn't it?
It tastes delicious! Although it's really peanut-free, it tastes a bit nuttier than regular peanut butter. Scrumptious! I've eaten this with bananas, with oreos, in sandwiches and since I have another bottle coming my way, I decided to go a step further and make cookies with it!


Sunbutter Cookies
recipe from Sugarcrafter

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup Sunbutter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp sat
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat the oven t 350 degrees and line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, add together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter, sunbutter and sugars.
4. Add in the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated.
5. Add in the flour mixture and mix.


6. Drop 1-inch dough balls onto your baking sheet, and using a fork, press criss-crosses on the cookie dough. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the sides are toasty brown.


These cookies are nostalgic! They remind me of the Presto cookies I used to eat for recess at school when I was younger. You can subtly taste the nutmeg, and the sunbutter is just filling with the right amount of sweetness. I bet my Dad would just love these cookies as peanut butter is his choice spread and flavor in everything! He has even sneaked a taste of my sunbutter and exclaimed at how we should buy that instead. Oh if it were readily available, I totally would. Alas, I have to wait for a care package for my next bottle. Oh well, better some than none!


Affectionately,
Isobel

P.S. Don't you just love my tins for my cookies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)