Thursday, January 10, 2013

Whole Wheat Muffins

Dear readers,

Well aren't we all glad that I have finally raised my blog out of the grave? Apologies for not posting in so long, especially during the holidays where people are out and about looking for recipes to spice up the holiday spirit. December was a lot busier than I expected with all the holiday feasts and parties spread throughout the month, which would totally make me sound like a cool person having attended so much, seeing as I have a life. On the contrary however, I did not attend so much parties. In all honesty, I was sick most days during the holidays and I wasn't all too pumped out to get out of my bed and get baking. Also because that would be quite unhygienic.

Now that I'm back to blogging, let me just all greet you a late Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! It's 2013 and clearly, we didn't die as the Mayans sort of predicted we would, and what better way to celebrate our being alive than by good recipes that will keep us alive longer? Over the holidays, not that I've been a health nut or anything, but I have been a little more precocious with what I eat to prevent an expansive gain of holiday weight and to lose them should I gain some. So let's start the new year with a healthy breakfast recipe shall we?


Whole Wheat Muffins are a real treat when you've found your go-to recipe. Something that's not too sweet with the right amount texture to bite into and healthy enough to start your day with!

Whole Wheat Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar (you can use honey if you prefer)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.


2. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, and the wet ingredients in another bowl.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir.


4. Line your muffin tins with paper (so that they'll be easier to scoop out) and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Pour in the dough batter into the liners and bake for 20 minutes until well-risen.

*makes 6 muffins

Sad to say dear readers that my photography skills still suck, and that in this time, my camera refuses to work with me and I had to use my phone instead. I hope they still look good enough for you guys to make them though. They are pretty delicious. They're great with jam, and they're incredibly delicious with butter, and the best part? Each muffin only has 123 calories! Perfect munchies for the weight watcher!

Spread on some butter while it's hot and mmmm.
These muffins are pretty basic, so feel free to add in something to flavor them up. You can put spices such as cinnamon or ginger, or add in 1/4 cup of fresh or dried fruit like berries or apricots. I personally can't wait to try these out again with some shredded carrot or zucchini for the extra health factor.

I'm incredibly glad to be back, and cheers to a wonderful 2013 everyone!

As ever,
Isobel

1 comment:

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)