Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies (No Eggs)

This is an incredibly laaaate post, aside from not posting in forever. Excuse me.

The health nut bit in my family is still going on, but there is no reason why I should sacrifice all my sweets for it. A little indulgence never hurt anyone, right? After a good, filling meal with friends one night, we were craving for something sweet to satisfy ourselves with. So taking into consideration my friends' cries, my family's crazy and the fact that there were no eggs in the house, I made some cookies to appease all three subgroups. Lo and behold, my Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (No Eggs)! These aren't the healthiest, but they are pretty damn addictive.




No-Eggs Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup softened butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup grated chocolate

1. Start by creaming together the butter and sugar until well-combined. Stir in the vanilla.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and the salt.
3. In a small bowl, combine the boiling water and dissolve the baking soda. Add in to the butter/sugar mixture.
4. Gradually add in the flour to the butter mixture and mix well.
5. Add in the oats and mix until spread evenly. Then add the chocolate until all the batter becomes a shade darker (that will be the grated chocolate coating everything).


6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and roll out the dough into 1 inch balls, leaving an inch between them too to allow space for rising.

7. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the bottom sides are brown. Be careful not to overcook them for they turn quite bitter.

These cookies are a pretty filling snack and as any good cookie, go well with milk. Yum. That extra dose of fiber from the oats isn't a bad thing either! I suspect you can experiment with the flavor, as you can maybe add in some nutmeg, some cinnamon or orange peel. I should take that into consideration the next time I make these. Or perhaps, I'll ground the oatmeal for a finer texture.

All in all, a friend took home a whole tin of these cookies, probably because of the amount of chocolate in them. You can eat these as a midnight snack as my friends and I did, or maybe as a regular snack, or maybe even breakfast if you're a bit of a sweet tooth. Either way, these cookies won't disappoint, and they hit the all the right spots.

As ever,
Isobel

P.S. I've been working for a month now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)